Senior Manager, Media & Communications
The Senior Manager of Media and Communications will join a growing, highly creative and dynamic communications team working to advance Malaria No More’s domestic and global communications strategy and advance our advocacy objectives. The Senior Manager will engage top-tier media, and reporters, and use strategic communications and storytelling to drive the organization’s mission, brand, campaigns, and work. The Senior Manager will be responsible for drafting and editing much of the organization’s external written content. Candidates for this position should have a strong understanding of the national and global media landscape and possess established media relationships when they walk through the door. This position reports to the Senior Director of Strategic Communications.
Job type: Full-time
Location: Seattle or Washington, D.C. preferred. Willing to consider exceptional candidates outside of preferred location for remote work.(We are currently working remotely due to the ongoing pandemic.)
Duties and Responsibilities
A Day in the Life
- Start your day with a scan of morning news in global health, foreign affairs and on Capitol Hill.
- With news of the WHO endorsement of a RTS,S malaria vaccine for children in Africa buzzing, you begin a draft of a statement for Malaria No More’s CEO.
- By mid-morning you are on the phone with reporters to be certain Malaria No More’s leadership and/or board are included in the story.
- Lunch with partners to discuss an upcoming joint report and webinar.
- Wrap up your day with some dedicated writing time focused on an op-ed making the link between mosquito-borne diseases and climate change for Malaria No More’s Forecasting Healthy Futures initiative.
- Elevate the malaria and global health narrative in Washington, D.C., across the United States, and global media.
- Proactively reach out to press and build lasting relationships with a network of reporters across print, television and radio.
- Work with the communications team and outside vendors to produce print reports, websites, videos, campaigns and external organizational communications.
- Secure media appearances for Leadership Team & partners to strategically increase awareness of the organization’s mission.
- Produce press releases, media advisories, op-eds, letters to the editor and other external communications.
- Work across the organization to coordinate an integrated press strategy for major milestones, meetings, events, etc.
- Pinch hit across the team as needed on social media, copy-editing, etc.
- BA in related field such as communications, journalism, political science, international relations, etc.
- 7+ years work experience in a communications role, ideally in a development institution, dynamic foundation, government, or non-government institution, with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Excellent and persuasive writing and communication skills.
- Collaborative, innovative thinker with campaign, political and/or global health experience highly desired.
- Proven ability to engage with grasstops and/or grassroots storytellers to amplify a message.
- Track record of using strategic communications to bolster advocacy.
- Experience with media monitoring tools such as Meltwater a plus.
- A team player who can think strategically but do the work.
- A strong commitment to MNM’s mission to end malaria.
- Dedication to operating in a diverse, inclusive, learning atmosphere exploring multiple policy solutions to achieve that mission.
- Competitive compensation package
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Vacation and Sick Time
- Paid Holidays
- Summer Fridays
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short- and Long-Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- 401K with employer safe harbor contribution
- And so much more!
Please email a concise cover letter (with salary requirements) explaining why you would like to be considered and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Senior Manager, Media & Communications – Full Name." Cover letters with no salary requirements will not be considered. Final offer will be contingent on successful background check. No telephone calls please.
Applicants of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. MNM is an equal opportunity employer.
HELP END MALARIA DEATHS
Your contribution will help us ensure no child dies from the bite of a malaria mosquito. We have the tools to end deaths from malaria now. Let's make malaria no more!