Director of US Policy and Advocacy
The Director of US Policy and Advocacy is a dynamic, outcomes-driven leader responsible for the design and implementation of Malaria No More’s US policy and advocacy strategy. This position will be a key member of the global policy and advocacy team based in Washington, DC, working to influence and shape domestic and global malaria public policy through the US Government and its partners. The Director will help to manage Malaria No More’s relationships with key Congressional, Administration, and Executive Branch staff, including the Congress, White House, USAID, State, NIH, CDC, and DoD.
Job type: Full-time
Location: Washington, D.C. (We are currently working remotely due to the ongoing pandemic.)
Duties and Responsibilities
A Day in the Life
- Start the day with a review of news wires to see what developments are afoot in the health advocacy world including congressional proposals, announcements from foreign governments, or new funding sources.
- Head to the Hill to have coffee with congressional staff and key administration officials to get updated status on legislative proposals and new funding requests.
- By midmorning, you huddle with the Communications team to map out the strategy to contact congressional staff, reporters, and other NGOs on MNM’s response to the upcoming President’s Budget Request for malaria funding.
- Lunch with foundations and other partners to discuss how to translate exciting new malaria technologies into specific policy and funding proposals.
- As the day winds down, you begin to focus on event planning for a major event launching next month and begin contacting internal stakeholders to confirm roles and responsibilities.
- Work closely with the U.S. Congress, The President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), USAID, the State Department, the CDC, and other U.S. Government agencies to advocate for and support U.S. policies, programs, and funding for malaria, global health, and foreign aid.
- Plan and execute all briefings and meetings on Capitol Hill including MNM sponsored international Congressional Staff Delegations (staffdels)
- Build, maintain and manage relationships with the malaria and global health community, including government, nonprofit, and multilateral institutions; represent Malaria No More at malaria community partnership meetings and other events and briefings in Washington.
- Engage with private sector entities whose work intersects with the fight against malaria, including extractive industries, pharmaceutical and pesticide producers, and other service providers.
- Track policy and engage in political developments related to malaria and public health.
- Collaborate closely with the Director of Strategic Communications to help drive coverage of malaria and global health in key targeted media outlets
- Work in partnership to support the Strategic Initiatives team and organizational fundraising goals.
- BA required, MA preferred, in related field such as government, public policy, international relations, political science, public administrator, or public health.
- 10+ years’ work experience in a dynamic advocacy or policy role, ideally in a US Government institution (Capitol Hill or Agency), foundation, non-government institution, or international institution with increasing levels of responsibility and leadership.
- Strong relationships across Capitol Hill and the US Government.
- Ability to generate ideas and opportunities to influence public policy in malaria, health systems, communicable disease control and health financing in the US and other markets.
- Excellent and persuasive writing and communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills, as well as an ability to distill complex concepts into concise messages
- Collaborative, innovative thinker with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans, outputs, and results.
- Track record of using advocacy and policy to drive key outcomes.
- Proven action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to leadership.
- Proven ability to develop, inspire, and manage a diverse team of professionals.
- Attention to detail, problem-solving attitude, and strong organizational skills.
- Proven ability to handle projects, manage details, and follow-through independently.
- Strong commitment to the MNM’s mission to end malaria.
- Dedication to operating in a diverse, inclusive, learning atmosphere exploring multiple policy solutions to achieve that mission.
- Competitive compensation package
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Vacation and Sick Time
- Paid Holidays
- Summer Fridays
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short- and Long-Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- 401K with employer safe harbor contribution
- And so much more!
Please email a concise cover letter (with salary requirements) explaining why you would like to be considered and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Director of US Policy and Advocacy – Full Name." Cover letters with no salary requirements will not be considered. Final offer will be contingent on successful background check. No telephone calls please.
Applicants of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. MNM is an equal opportunity employer.
HELP END MALARIA DEATHS
Your contribution will help us ensure no child dies from the bite of a malaria mosquito. We have the tools to end deaths from malaria now. Let's make malaria no more!